Merry We Meet!!

This is my space to share, rant, rave, and even do a little bragging about my life choices, family, and where each are taking me.

Many people think 'witch' and immediately jump to the conclusion that I am some weirdo who's home smells like stale incense and thinks Mr. Potter is end all be all of magick. I hate to disappoint, but I am as normal as the next person. As much as a person can be normal.

So, please read on. Enjoy my trials and tribulations. Hopefully, you can learn something from the mistakes I make and the good fortunes that come my way.


You can follow me on Instagram @Witchmomma

~Blessed Be~

Brothers

Brothers

My Iron Man!

My Iron Man!
This was just before his 12th birthday. 2015

Friday, June 28, 2013

Food for thought....

One of my closest friends, that is not a strong enough word... Sister, has a blog called The Hedge Sister. It is listed under the Supporter's, Friends, and Helpful Links heading to the right of this post. For those of you who don't want to go looking for it, it is http://hedgesister.wordpress.com/ .

She touched on a topic that many people tend to look the other way on. The post was about the symbolism of the Halloween Witch and what she means to those of us who are, in fact, witches. I could in no terms put it as eloquently as she did seeing that just thinking about it makes my blood boil. The gist of the post (which I HIGHLY recommend taking the time to read) is about how during the Burning Times, women (men AND children as well) were arrested. Whole families brought in for torture and questioning to gain a confession or collect more "evidence" against said witch. 

Witches were usually older women who were herbalists and a little more outspoken, women who had an affair with a married man, or wanted a married man so she accused his wife of bewitching him.

These women went through horrendous beatings and sexual abuse, so their skin was various shades of green, purple, yellow, and of course black and blue. Their noses and fingers broken or mutilated  so they were crooked. Normally they were starved or fed things vermin wouldn't touch. Then after going through all that these holy men would parade them around the city in rags (if they were lucky) to humiliate them before burning the "witch" at the stake.

My Sister's post is far more well written and historically accurate. I truly hope you can find the time to read it. 

My point to this post is to show how we've taken something as serious as this moment in time and turned it into a fun costume choice on a holiday that is the most sacred to most witches. 

This image of the Halloween Witch is to be revered and remembered for all those innocents who lost their lives and families in the most tragic of ways. 

I am proud to call myself a witch. I hold my head up with pride when I claim it to those who do not know. I'm far from evil and am just as normal as the rest of you out there in cyber land. 

Jeez... I didn't mean for this post to become so depressing. When I read my Sister's blog it touched something deep inside of me. I cried as I read it to my family, picturing myself losing my children and knowing they were being tortured as many of those accused had. I couldn't keep the tears from flowing. 

I don't really know if I have a point or question to pose to you, my fellow reader. Just think on it. Think about how the world around you perceives you or your lifestyle. It's only been a short 200 years since this last happened...and already it's been forgotten by most.

Hug your loved ones tight.
Blessed Be.
)O(

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you are thinking!

Popular Posts

Daddy and I

Daddy and I
Ready for our night out!